Forums

Some comments on comments

Pages: 1
kjfitz
01/03/12 12:28 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi Fellow VGTers,

Welcome back from the long holidays. I hope everyone is well rested and ready for a new year. It was a banner year at VGT and that was of course due to you, the people posting all the great maps. As we start the new year we thought it would be a good time to do a bit of housekeeping.

Along those lines I've noticed a few trends in the use of comments lately and I'd like to clarify how to use them in conjunction with the More Info link.

TL;DR: (1) Post links to other maps in the comments, not the More Info (2) Move multiple links out of your Descriptions and into your comments.

First, think of your map as a stand-alone submission. In some cases, especially the Street View posts, your map may relate to another previous submission. If you'd like to bring attention to the other map then add a link to it in your comments, not your More Info link. Use the More Info link to point to further information about your map's subject. Its OK if that link happens to be the same link that the original poster used.

Quote:

Example: Bob posts a great map of The Whatzit along with a Wikipedia link in the More Info field. Later Sue comes along and posts a Street View version of the Whatzit. She should use a More Info link that relates to the map's subject, not a link to the other map. If Sue wishes to (though she isn't by any means required to) she may post the URL to the other VGT posting in the comments to her map.

Second, think of your description as a teaser to the More Info link. It isn't a stand alone Wikipedia article that requires twenty links nor should it be more than two or three paragraphs long. VGT is focused on collecting and highlighting interesting sites not a reference source and bibliography for everything related to the map's location. If you have a dozen interesting links about a site please feel free to post them in the comments.

Quote:

Example: Bob posts a map of a gold mine in Rhode Island. While researching it he finds a wiki link, a site with a history of the mine, flickr collection of photos, a government report on the sites future, and the mine's official site. In this case it would make sense to post the wiki link as the More Info link and put each of the rest in as comments.

This later helps us maintain the links. Links come and go on the internet. Wiki links tend to stay so we like them. But if you submit ten links as part of your description and one dies a few years down the road then a moderator has to go in and edit the description to remove that link. If you submit each link as a comment then we just delete that comment.

====

The quality of the posts have gone up measurably in the last year. The use of More Info and comments has never been better. Keeping these guidelines in mind will help us all step it up to an even higher level of quality for future users of the site.

Thanks!

Kevin
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
Dania
01/08/12 01:07 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Maybe you should change the header to "New way to submit files"
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2315