Forums

Street View Censoring?

Pages: 1
jbottero
10/20/11 10:43 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was looking for the Mykonos Restaurant in Berlin (where in 1992, Iran assassinated three or four Iranian dissidents)

http://g.co/maps/zms28

I noticed that regardless of browser (IE, FF, Cr), there are specific and large blurred out blocks.

Is this something specific to Germany? Some sort of "privacy" blurring? Or maybe I can assume some "sensitive" building is under the blur?

These are not just car plates and faces, but large blocks...

Edited by mlc1us (10/22/11 02:21 PM)
milwhcky
10/20/11 10:49 PM

Nothing new. People in Germany had the ability to have their property blurred before the street view imagery went online.

Example of Opt-Out censorship
© Google Maps
jbottero
10/22/11 02:06 AM

How very irritating.
Dania
11/09/11 04:22 AM

Many Germans are afraid of "Big Brother Watching You" and the posibility of burglars using Street View as a tool.

Many interesting sites in the cities there are on Street View has been blurred too because of blurring nearby houses.

So Google has decided not to update more cities in Germany as long as they have to blur so many houses, shops etc.
FrankB
01/25/12 04:20 PM

I don't get this. You can stand on the street and look at their home. What is so terrible about being able to see it on a photo? I could understand it if it were a streaming video, but not a still image that is probably one year old.

If they are afraid of burglars, I would think that this only makes it worse, because now everyone can see who has something to hide.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2543