Forums

Something new in Street View

Pages: 1
mlc1us
11/15/12 06:36 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Earlier today I found something I haven't seen before. On this Google map picking up Pegman, reveals a blue circle similar to the orange circles for inside business. Dropping Pegman on the blue circle opens a panorama on a rooftop. It turns out this is a scene contributed by an Android phone user.

"With Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) or higher, you can capture a 360-degree panorama directly from your Camera app. Once you have a photo to share, you can choose to share your panorama on Google Maps and Google+."

Read more here.
mlc1us
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
kjfitz
11/15/12 06:56 PM

Very cool. This could lead to lots of 'specialized' imagery data of special events, interiors of homes etc.

I could think of some interesting 'time series' photos one could do too.

Lots of possibilities here.

I notice that unlike Panaramio the google maps URLs work inside these user supplied images too. That could open a whole new world of imagery for us at VGT.

Now I'd like to see Google extend a search capability to all of these new types of imagery (museum, indoor, android, off-road, tricycle, etc.)
kjfitz
mlc1us
11/22/12 05:55 PM

Quote:

Now I'd like to see Google extend a search capability to all of these new types of imagery (museum, indoor, android, off-road, tricycle, etc.)

QSView - Instant Google Street View is a new web tool that does a pretty good job of finding places in SV. It works better than any other SV search tool that I've ever come across.

"Simply start typing an address, place name or location, to be instantly taken there via Google Street View. If no Street View exists at the location, or if your search is too broad (e.g. "France"), a map will be shown instead."

It will even go inside businesses if you give it a specific name e.g. type in Gruhn Guitars, and you get this.
mlc1us
kjfitz
12/04/12 05:00 PM

Here is a map of many of the Android Panoramas contributed to Google Maps.

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/contribute/#all
kjfitz
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 15808