Forums

Addition of thumbs...

Pages: 1
jbottero
12/27/12 01:22 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
What is the rule about additional thumbs where the Google thumb is Street View? In other words, adding Bing/Bird's Eye and Yahoo Maps thumbs where there is already a Street View thumb but no other thumbs?

- Thanks
kjfitz
12/27/12 01:48 AM

Traditionally we've not encouraged it. But I don't think I'd object too strongly if someone did.

The driving policy would be that what a user sees in the thumbnail should match what they see if they clicked on that map.

That's why we often reject BEV thumbs on Bing aerial maps.

Since someone clicking on the Bing map when the main URL is already Street View would lead to a Bing aerial map, then the appropriate secondary thumbnail would be a Bing aerial map rather than BEV.

Does that make sense?

Kevin
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
jbottero
12/29/12 01:44 PM

Well, I had been adding some Bing and Yahoo thumbs to existing Street Veiw maps of interest to me, but was told to stop.

So I should add a completely new map for the Bing and Yahoo views? Isn't that unnecessary duplication?

And, since even without the actual thumb image, there is still a clickable link in the box where the image would be, so what's the point in *not* having the associated thumb image?

Ah, well. VG's loss, not mine.
jbottero
12/29/12 03:14 PM

Mlc1us is correct, in the dialog to add thumbs it says:

"Please do not submit Street View thumbnails for non-Street View maps. Additionally, do not submit regular Bing/Yahoo thumbnails for Street View maps."

In my opinion this is silly and results in what are essentially duplicate maps, one with Street View, and one with the Big and Yahoo, while there is no real reason that (since there are three linkys anyway) a map can not have one SV thumb, one Bing thumb, and one Yahoo thumb.

I can live with that silliness, it's not my web site. But I'll probably avoid submitting any new SV maps...
nic
12/31/12 11:30 AM

The problem with adding Bing/Yahoo aerial thumbs to a Street View map is that there are only 3 thumbnail choices available for each map, one each for Google/Bing/Yahoo. After adding Bing and Yahoo Aerial to the Google SV image, there would be no place to include a regular Google Aerial image. So if anyone wanted to submit a Google Aerial for the same location, they'd need to submit a whole new map. And that new map would be the more appropriate place to include the Bing/Yahoo Aerial images.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8613