Forums

Integrate external sites with Pics and Stories

Pages: 1
romulusnr
11/22/05 02:33 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
It'd be ideal if the Pics and Stories allowed a way to integrate existing pictures and stories on other sites dedicated to those purposes (like Flickr et al for pictures, and assorted blogs for stories), rather than have it duplicated here. It's kind of redundant to download my existing Flickr photos just to upload them to GGT.

It would seem to be a Great Thing if, say, you could link and linkback one's Flickr images to GGT maps, and likewise with, say, LJ or whatever blog posts.
TexasAndroid
11/22/05 03:21 PM

One initial concern comes to mind. We're been continually concerned about the possibility of malicious content being added. Inappropriate pictures, advertizing, etc. To prevent this, we turned off the ability to link pictures into the regular comments a while back. That's also why the current system requires all pictures to be moderated before they go live. Allowing links to elsewhere would create the possibility that the image in the links could be updated after moderation, creating a hole in the moderation protection.
TexasAndroid
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
nic
11/24/05 07:37 PM

Additionally, I don't think Flickr would allow us to 'use' their content, whether it was with the author's permission or not. I would love for a way to team up with them somehow -- but I think it'd be a one-way relationship (us sending them traffic).

I could allow for Pic uploads via a URL (i.e. GGT would download the image from an existing website). That could speed image upload time. I'll try that soon.
nic
12/13/05 08:33 PM

FYI uploading pics via a URL has been added, you can upload(download?) 3 at a time.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3085