Forums

Paris Hilton's House

Pages: 1
jbottero
11/01/13 01:01 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
OK, the *only* reason that Paris Hilton's House has been the "Top Map" for an eternity, is that it is the "Top Map". Until you folks switch it out, it will *always* be the "Top Map" because it is prominently placed on the page and people will click on it first.

Seriously, check the number of weeks as "Top Map" ... Are people really that interested in Paris Hilton's House or do they just clicky on it because it's in the top right corner?

I just can't seriously believe that 90% of all VG visitors have a hot interest in Paris Hilton's House.

Just sayin'

Edited by jbottero (11/01/13 01:03 AM)
nic
11/01/13 02:04 AM

That's an interesting concern. Let's look at the statistics:

Only about 7% of new traffic comes to the home page. The rest of the traffic is from random Google searches that bring visitors directly to all sorts of maps on VirtualGlobetrotting, including to the Paris Hilton House. So while many people visit the home page, it's not the most popular place to start out.

Of the traffic that loads the home page, 1.7% of visitors clicked directly on Paris Hilton's house. The rest go to the various navigation areas on the left, or click on recent blog posts, etc.

Because of the 1.7% clicks from the home page to the Top Map, the front page contributes to about 30 views a day to the Top Map.

Today, Paris Hilton's House had 208 views, while Willie Robertson's House had 199 views.

So yes, actually, having the Top Map slot on the home page (which gives +30 map views a day) has kept the Paris Hilton house above the Willie Robertson house today.

But... is that necessarily a bad thing?
jbottero
11/06/13 11:29 PM

OK, I accept that people are obsessed with Paris Hilton...

I'm disappointed that actual stats don't support my theory...

And I would like to say that just because I make a point to watch TMZ every day doesn't mean...

Er, Nevermind...
nic
11/07/13 10:18 AM

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2208