Forums

Multiple More Info Links per Map

Pages: 1
nic
12/14/13 04:15 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Maps can now have more than one "More Info" link.

For example, take a look at Michael Jordan's house. You'll see multiple links listed in the "Links:" section.
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/michael-jordans-house-2/

One thing to note is that I converted all comments that consisted entirely of just a link into a one of the links listed in the "Links:" section.

Anyone can submit a new Link for a map (there's an Add Link button next to Suggest Changes). New Links go through our regular moderation queue.

There's a new section in your Home page for all of the Links you've submitted. There's also a section for Needs Attention (explained below):
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/my_links/

Finally, the website will now crawl old links (roughly 1,000 links daily) to see if any of them no longer work. For example, if they go to a Page Not Found, or the host isn't found -- if so, it's marked as Needs Attention in your My Links. You can suggest a replacement link there, or a moderator might replace it as well.

As always, let me know of your feedback!
Fab
02/18/14 04:24 AM

Look, there are no URLs and these maps are OK. What should I do, just ignore such notifications?
nic
02/19/14 12:24 AM

Thanks for finding that Fab. I've found the problem and fixed it.
Fab
02/25/14 05:48 AM

Another similar error. I often get reports about URLs that actually work and there's no need to replace them. I used to do it with the same links but this problem should finally be fixed.

nic
02/25/14 10:54 PM

I have a change in the pipeline to allow you to "mark as OK" for transient errors. My guess is some of the .ru sites weren't working when we crawled? If they keep popping up, let me know.
Fab
02/26/14 02:55 AM

Not only .ru, previously I had notifications about links from various countries. Some of them were 404 and I needed to find new ones, but there were many working URLs.
nic
03/03/14 12:15 PM

Please let me know as you find URLs that you get notifications about but are working properly. I fixed an issue with waymarking.com that wasn't delivering pages to our website crawler because of a HTTP header I was missing. That is fixed now, but there are likely other cases as well.

Thanks!
Fab
03/03/14 01:10 PM

I've got a notification about telegraph.co.uk here, but the link is OK.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nic, TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Parabellum, Pdunn, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3417