Forums

You can now add your own street view imagery

Pages: 1
kjfitz
12/10/13 01:01 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
You can now link multiple 360 degree photo spheres (the blue dots street view) into navigable paths just like street view and the google business imagery.

What would you add to google maps?

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2013/12/create-your-own-street-view.html
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
nic
12/10/13 01:36 PM

Pretty cool. It's limited to the Views community right? Does it ever show up on Google Maps proper?
kjfitz
12/10/13 06:06 PM

> It's limited to the Views community right?

It does show up on your profile in Views immediately (well, about a 5 minute delay.)

> Does it ever show up on Google Maps proper?

Maybe. I'm not sure.

I just submitted one this afternoon to test it. Some of the fine print says 'yes' if you comply with all their guidelines (adding metadata, submit through Google+, don't spam, etc.) while other fine print implies something more like 'We'll look at it and maybe we'll post it to Google Maps.'

Mine was fairly innocuous, the parking lot of a local dot com.

I'll post back here if/when it goes live.

Kevin
kjfitz
kjfitz
12/16/13 12:40 PM

I got an email from Google yesterday which said the map would not appear on Google Maps but would still be on Google Views.

So from this I conclude they don't accept all maps and the turnaround is on the order of a week.

I'll post a more significant/interesting and cleaner sphere today and see if that gets accepted. If not then the bar for inclusion is a lot higher than I initially expected.

Kevin
kjfitz
kjfitz
12/22/13 01:30 PM

> I'll post a more significant/interesting and cleaner sphere today
> and see if that gets accepted. If not then the bar for inclusion is
> a lot higher than I initially expected.

So I submitted the second one on the 16th and it was accepted yesterday.
kjfitz
pmoore66
03/26/14 07:23 PM

Are the blue dots permanent? I found some at Laumeier Sculpture Park in St. Louis and captured maps but those are now gone. The map links resolve to black voids.
I was wondering ... if you remove your Google+ account do they still keep the maps submitted? The other thought would be that the sculpture park asked Google to take the imagery away because Google doesn't have rights to publish the artwork imagery. Easier than blurring out the art? I'd hate that fix but I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often with art.
PMOORE66
sculpture/architecture advocate
Pages: 1
Extra information
3 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3631