Forums

Recent rash of Zero ratings?

Pages: 1
AKpilotEMT
12/22/05 03:43 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Anyone else experience a recent rash of Zero ratings? Something like 20 of my last 30 submissions got a Zero from someone... and it's not like they're all low-res, actually I don't think any are and most, i believe, are pretty clear images. I can't see how I've made anyone hate me. Not like I care very deeply about this... i'm just wondering.

Adios, Merry Christmas,
CW
kjfitz
12/22/05 04:18 AM

Sometimes we get hit by robots that surf all the links on a page and then the links on them. When the robot hits an info page it then hits the scores, starting with zero. The other scores are disallowed after that so just the zero registers. The bot is usually a bad-bot since it ignores the robot.txt file. Nic can often track back in the logs to the IP address of the bot and then disallow the zeroes.

Don't worry. We still love you.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
nic
12/22/05 04:35 PM

Yeah, there are some stupid web crawlers out there that ignore the robots.txt file (which tells them to not go to vote.php). Thus, they find the first link to give a 0 rating, and try 1-10 next, which they can only vote once for, so the map gets a 0.

I've added a hidden link to the page before the Vote 0, that has no text -- only crawlers will see this, try the link, and get banned from voting for this map (and no vote will be registered).

I've updated all maps that had one 0 vote to be blank again -- sorry for that.
AKpilotEMT
12/22/05 06:24 PM

A web crawler that votes zero for whatever? Ooooo-kay. I didn't know such a thing existed; I just thought it was someone being foolish. Anyway, glad you fixed el problemo... No need to be sorry. It's almost like asking more of the site isn't right because you already do much.
nic
12/22/05 06:58 PM

Well, a web crawler looks at all links on a page to find new places to go to. In the page source code, the first Vote link to show up is value 0, going through 10. So the crawler will hit 0 first, and then will be denied 1-10 because they already voted 0.
edv
01/09/06 03:05 PM

Perhaps the ratings system could be set to ignore any zero ratings, but I'm no programmer, so I dunno.
I can't imagine a human intentionally giving somebody else's map a zero rating (except maybe my North Pole and South Pole maps, hehe)
romulusnr
01/09/06 08:24 PM

Then the crawlers would give everyone a 1 rating, which wouldn't be much better.

Maybe voting should be limited to logged in users.
nic
01/09/06 10:11 PM

Maybe I didn't explain what I did well enough I solved the problem by a hidden link that only a webcrawler will see, which it will follow. When the server gets a hit on this hidden link, it will ignore all future requests by this IP.

Shouldn't be a problem any more! Let me know if that isn't the case tho.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5099