Forums

Everyone can now suggest map edits and re-submit rejected maps

Pages: 1
nic
12/11/13 11:11 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Everyone is now able to suggest changes for maps.

When you're looking at a map's info page, there is a new button on the right called "Suggest Changes". Here, you can modify any of the map's details such as title, description, url, city, state and country.

These changes will go into a moderation queue, but should be approved in short order.

In addition, this means you can make changes to any of your maps that were rejected. Once you make changes to a rejected map, it automatically goes back into the Queue.

Let me know if you have any problems with the system.
Xeba73
12/11/13 01:15 PM

This is really a great idea.
Seriously, I think the mods (especially mlc1us?) made like 300-400 changes for my maps, probably took them hours to do it. Thank you guys!
nic
12/11/13 01:56 PM

Yes, the moderators do an amazing job helping keep the posts updated. And now everyone else can too!

One additional note. If someone makes a change to your map, you are also notified of the change.
tlp333
12/12/13 12:24 PM

Awesome!
pmoore66
12/12/13 12:36 PM

I was using the comments section just to remind myself that I had visited someone else's map to add detail knowing full well the additional details would never show up in a search. This changes everything. Nice update.

The "More Info" URLs are helpful on submission but there is no control over that external reference. When I go back to my earliest submissions, so many links are broken...makes me wonder how useful those are over time. I will still use them because I do not want to duplicate the information in the Description field. At least we have a way to suggest a different URL now when/if the URLs are adjusted by the host.
PMOORE66
sculpture/architecture advocate
nic
12/12/13 01:50 PM

Thanks, it seems like everyone's using the Suggest Change feature. We've already had >120 changes suggested.

The first few maps that had URL changes between Google and Bing might not have changed the default thumbnail. I've fixed that problem for those maps and for any changes going forward.

As for the More Info links, that's actually what I'm working on now. I'm going to allow for more than 1 More Info link. Anyone can suggest additional More Info links for any map. In addition, old links will be "crawled" periodically to see if they're still working or not, so we can cleanup some of the old bad links.
kjfitz
12/12/13 03:08 PM

I think this is a big deal. A lot of people have wanted this for a long time. It's clear that people are passionate about the quality of the data. That's cool.

Thanks for doing this, nic. This had to be one of the more complex enhancements you've done yet.

Kevin
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
SpiderX22
04/21/14 11:08 PM

Was just directed to this by mlc1us: great feature!!
mlc1us
09/16/14 04:25 PM

When changing owner names on homes, please be sure to add a More Info link about the new owner. It would also be helpful if you add a comment requesting a category change if applicable.

Thanks!
mlc1us
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nic, TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Parabellum, Pdunn, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9594