Forums

KML File trove?

Pages: 1
edv
01/03/06 11:08 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Now that we are all learning more about Google Earth and starting to make our own kml (or kmz) files, my suggestion is to add a little corner to the site to house a trove of interesting or helpful files.

For example, I have a big kml file of all of the major motor racing circuits around the globe. It might be of interest to others.

Users browsing Middle East deserts might wonder about the smoking image on the map, where a kml file of oil field polygons might help them figure out what they're looking at.

etc etc

crazy?
AlbinoFlea
01/04/06 05:16 PM

There is a site (and probably others) that does something similar to what you describe:

http://www.googletouring.com/index.php

I've been toying with the idea of submitting something here myself.
nic
01/04/06 10:32 PM

Would others like this as well? Should I allow KML file uploads?
AKpilotEMT
01/05/06 11:29 AM

Death to Google Earth... unless they move all their hi-res to Google Maps.
AlbinoFlea
01/05/06 04:06 PM

Just a matter of time, CW...
AlbinoFlea
01/05/06 04:43 PM

Actually, my suggestion would be along these lines: the creation of sets of maps, from which a KML file could be generated without too much trouble. Something along the lines of Amazon lists or Flickr groups, the main difference between the 2 being that in Flickr you need the submitter's permission, whereas at Amazon you can put whatever you want into a list.

I think just permitting KML file uploads is a bit beyond where we're at, especially since other sites have been specializing in this sort of thing. If users could create sets of maps here at GGT, it would allow for the creation of both micro categories (i.e. MiGs, Nike L sites, etc.) and cross-category conglomerates (i.e. C&O Canal sights, buildings taller than 100 m, maps related to Thanksgiving, octagons, etc.).

This would make new functionality available to non-GE users that submit maps (cough... AKpilotEMT...cough), as well as users that don't submit maps of their own, and hopefully would create extra traffic on some lesser seen maps as users dig through the archives.

I'm not sure how the behind the scenes bit would work (insert nic's coding magic here) and the parameters are wide open, but I think it's something that makes sense. It would let users or groups of users create KML files from the ground up, with an end-result similar to what edv suggests, and with the added bonus that the original map submitter gets some extra mileage and keeps their submission precedence.
nic
01/06/06 02:13 AM

I like your idea a lot. Call it a "Map Set" or something. Allow users to create these, and add/remove maps to them using the site.

Others can browse Map Sets, download KMLs, see what maps are in them, rate them, etc. Even see a plot of the maps using google embedded if they don't have GE.

Another idea on the drawing board
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5777