Forums

Anyone recognize this?

Pages: 1
nic
01/09/15 10:46 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Anyone seen this location before? Someone emailed me asking where it is, and I couldn't easily find it in our database.

kjfitz
01/09/15 06:02 PM

I'm thinking North Korea. I've seen this before I think.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
nic
01/20/15 11:10 PM

I looked at our North Korea entries for a while but couldn't find it. It did look similar to other NK buildings thought.

Searched for terms like "face" and "smile" and "head" in our database and didn't find a match either.
hhgygy
01/21/15 07:31 AM

Absolutely not North Korea, it is in Australia judging from the shadows and the copyright. You can find it as a quiz in GEC
You can find the relevant post by entering the image in Google Images, it was posted as "Happy House"

Edited by hhgygy (01/21/15 07:33 AM)
Xeba73
01/21/15 12:14 PM

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2013/09/things-look-like-things-google-earth.html/happyhouse

but no mention about the location.

hhgygy, what exactly do you mean by "judging from the shadows and the copyright"?
hhgygy
01/21/15 05:56 PM

The copyright is outdated but it is an Australian firm that only provided satellite images for Australia and New Zealand as far as I remember. The shadows usually point to the bottom if the satellite image is from the Southern hemisphere.
nic
02/01/15 11:50 AM

The original poster (from the GE Blog) seems to think it was captured around Melbourne, Australia, but doesn't remember the original location.

I'll put a $25 Amazon Gift Card up as a bounty for the first person to find it!
milwhcky
02/01/15 01:19 PM

The Melbourne metro area has a street grid that is 8 degrees clockwise from the traditional NESW compass points. Therefore, almost all buildings in the area are also 8 degrees clockwise. I'd be surprised if this compound is in the Melbourne metro area.

Interesting history behind the city's grid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoddle_Grid
http://ergo.slv.vic.gov.au/explore-history/colonial-melbourne/everyday-life/melbourne-city-grid
Farceur
02/07/15 09:36 PM

I originally posted this in Google earth but did not tag it with a kmz file....Doh. I do know it is somewhere in Australia though if that helps. Oh. And I do live in Melbourne.

Edited by Farceur (02/07/15 09:37 PM)
Farceur
02/13/15 06:14 PM

Got it. Lat: 36°57'53.88"S Lon: 144°22'36.21"E
Thanks for all the help guys. Please keep the gift card nic. I don't want to claim it due to my own stupidity of not backing my files up to somewhere easy to access. I had to troll through all my old hard drives to find it and then the Happy House kmz file was contained inside another kmz file that was inside a folder that was inside another folder that was on an old portable hard drive that I had backed up just before my old computer died. There are a lot of things in there that I now have to sort through and back up to a new portable hard drive.
And it seems to me to be a horse stable seeing that its right next to a practice racing track and most of the surrounding paddocks have shelters in them.

Edited by Farceur (02/13/15 07:43 PM)
mlc1us
02/13/15 11:47 PM

Excellent! Please submit a map of it.

Thanks!
mlc1us
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
hhgygy
02/15/15 11:20 AM

Ah, I was so close to target :-)
nic
02/24/15 11:25 AM

Wow I'm glad you were able to find it after all the sleuth work!

I've submitted it on your behalf:
https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/smiley-face-3/

Great work Farceur!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6289