Forums

"new and improved" Google map display

Pages: 1
jbottero
10/12/14 12:25 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
In the "new and improved" Google map display, how do you adjust the view to get rid of push-pins and labels? How do you get the coords? I've just been switching back to "original", but every time I clear my cache and history, maps reverts to the "new and improved" view, which I really don't like...
jbottero
12/24/14 10:02 PM

No one?
milwhcky
12/25/14 01:14 AM

I can't help you. I gave up on using their new version after the second or third time trying it. Takes me 10 seconds to reset the default to the classic version.
gordonhigh
12/29/14 05:11 PM

The new version annoys me to no end. I would just keep switching back to the old one.
mlc1us
12/30/14 07:38 PM

To get rid of push pins, remove whatever is in the search box (click the X). There is no way to turn off labels.
The URL updates as you move around, the coordinates at the center of the map are in the URL.
Bookmark this URL . Even if you change to New GM, you will still get Classic GM the next time you use this bookmark.
You may also want to set Classic GM as default. To do this, after you switch back to Classic GM from New GM, you should have a banner at the top of the map that says "You have switched back to classic Google Maps for this session. Remember this choice for next time? Yes Dismiss". Now click Yes.
milwhcky
01/19/15 08:58 PM

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem...

In the last week or so, Classic GM is not showing me any blue or orange dots for photospheres and indoor imagery. I have even tried placing the orange pegman over the exact spots where I know the dots should be, and it will not access those images. The normal street view blue lines do appear and work as they should.

I hope they aren't pulling features away from the classic version in order to push us towards using their newer flawed version.
Fab
01/20/15 07:06 AM

I have the same thing and I'm afraid this is exactly what is going on.
mlc1us
02/28/15 06:16 PM

I can see the blue and orange dots but pegman won't land on them. For what it's worth there's a workaround. I stumbled on to the fact that if Classic GM is being viewed inside an API, pegman will land on the orange and blue dots. You can then escape the API by tapping "Google" in the lower left corner. Here's and API I frequently use: http://www.instantstreetview.com/
mlc1us
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
jbottero
03/15/15 04:50 PM

You can "see" the dots in Classic View, but not access them. This is Google trying to force the New and Improved View on people.
milwhcky
04/15/15 05:04 PM

Classic GM will soon be history...
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6166252?p=update&hl=en&rd=1

"Soon, the updated version of Google Maps will become your desktop Maps experience. You'll no longer be able to use the older, classic Google Maps."
jdubble07
04/29/15 09:12 AM

The new GM is horrible. It's trying to be a browser version of Google Earth. There's no more BEV, and instead, everything's been replaced by blurry 3D renderings. How will that affect posting in the future?
Fab
04/29/15 09:35 AM

The only remaining hope is that Google will bring back the 45 degree aerial view some time.
kjfitz
04/29/15 01:15 PM

I think they are planning to bring back 45 degree imagery. Here's why I think that...

Have you ever noticed that sometimes a feature shows up in Google and then a few clicks later the feature is gone? Google enlists its users (at random) to Alpha and Beta test new features. They just serve up the new feature or tweak to some small random selection of people to see how/if they use it, gather stats, then turn it back off.

The other day I used Google Maps and there was a new icon in the upper left corner. I think it was three or four bars in a stack or something like that next to the address search field. I clicked it and a whole sidebar slid open. In the side bar I was able to enable 45 degree imagery and disable labels. Those are two of my biggest complaints about the new browser.

So perhaps they are getting ready to roll that back out.

I still hate the yucky attempt at 3D that they are using and the way they have it there even when there is no tilt. It really messes with some imagery when you get close up.
kjfitz
mlc1us
04/29/15 07:03 PM

Lite mode and Full mode have different imagery. The aircraft in this map is not there in Lite mode.

Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II
© Google Maps

Quote:

a new icon in the upper left corner. I think it was three or four bars in a stack or something like that next to the address search field

This 3 bars icon is in Lite mode now but does not include enable 45° or disable labels. List displayed is:

Satellite
Traffic
Transit
Bicycling
Terrain
Link to this map
Print map
Get help
Take a tour
Send general feedback
Search settings
History
mlc1us
mlc1us
05/02/15 01:36 PM

In Full Mode (earth) only, you can now disable labels . Find it with the gear icon.

Lots of changes to Lite Mode. It's starting to look and perform a lot like Classic GM. No turning off labels or 45° imagery yet, but the Street View navigation is now like it was, with white arrows instead the frustrating floating arrows in Full Mode. Also the row of images across the bottom is gone. I was beginning to think Lite Mode would be what I use permanently until yesterday when it got trapped in an infinite redirect loop all day. If Google ever gets their act together, I'll probably go with Lite Mode because it is way more user friendly, and faster.
mlc1us

Edited by mlc1us (05/02/15 01:41 PM)
jbottero
05/11/15 12:30 AM

The new Google Maps is unusable. It's been nice, Google Maps, but so long...
gordonhigh
05/11/15 02:52 PM

Quote:

The new Google Maps is unusable. It's been nice, Google Maps, but so long...

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8315