Forums

Bing Maps v8 Control

Pages: 1
nic
07/17/17 09:15 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note, that we're now using Bing Maps' V8 control (we were previously using V7).

The V7 control is being deprecated, so we needed to switch to the latest control. V8 should give increased performance.

I've also heard that the V8 control might come with some new BEV imagery in the near future -- keep an eye out!
Alephs
07/18/17 06:33 AM

New imagery already here!
mlc1us
07/18/17 08:00 PM

F-102A
© Bing Maps

Hmm...This map switches out of BEV and shows Road instead. I added a direct link as a work around for now.
mlc1us
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
Xeba73
07/19/17 05:27 PM

It seems that many, maybe even most, Bing maps are switching to Road mode.
nic
08/14/17 12:06 PM

Thanks for the note everyone. I've been discussing the issue with Bing Maps to see what is going on.

In the meantime, you can always add "?v7=1" to any /view/ URL to get the V7 control.

If this isn't resolved soon, I'll revert to the V7 control until they fix the issue.
nic
08/17/17 01:52 PM

So after some discussion with the Bing team, here's what's going on.

VGT was previously using the "v7" Bing Maps control. Bing wants everyone to move to the latest & greatest "v8" control, and had previously said they were going to discontinue support (i.e. shut off images) for the v7 control, as early as July 1st. That date has been pushed back to October 2nd now. After October 2nd, it's likely the v7 control will no longer work.

So as everyone saw, I recently migrated to the v8 control. And unfortunately, it looks like a significant number of Birds Eye locations that worked in the v7 control do have not Birds Eye imagery in the v8 control. I enabled logging on the maps to see how often this has been happening, and it appears that 42% of the VGT Birds Eye locations don't work in the v8 control. That's horrendous!

After speaking with Bing, it appears the problem is that the v8 control is using a completely new set of imagery than the v7 control. And for some reason that boggles my mind, they did not make the v7 imagery also available in the v8 control. Apparently, they need to re-process the v7 imagery for it to be available in the v8 control, and this is taking a long time. Over time, more and more v7 imagery will be available in the v8 control, but it's clearly not all there right now.

I've asked Bing if they're going to guarantee that *all* of the v7 imagery will be available in the v8 control prior to the October 2nd v7 shutdown deadline. I'm hoping that will be the case, or will try to convince them to keep the v7 control running until all of the imagery is available in the v8 control.

In the meantime, I've switched VGT back to using the v7 control for now.

Will keep this updated with any more news.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nic, TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Parabellum, Pdunn, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2125