Forums

Captcha timeout

Pages: 1
romulusnr
11/22/06 05:36 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Often, when I load an info page, say for a Info Requested map, and I go off and do some research to try and fill in the mystery, I come back to the window with the info page, say half an hour later, start entering my comment, enter the captcha, and submit. Boom. It rejects my response to the challenge, even though it was a match. This happens a lot, when I keep info pages open for a while then come back to enter a comment. I don't know the exact time though.

What makes this situation worse is that I lose my comment text, because it isn't retained upon going Back.
kjfitz
11/22/06 05:49 PM

I noticed it too. I'm at the point where I always copy (^c) all my text before I hit submit because 50% of teh time i either fail the test or time it out.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
nic
11/23/06 12:03 PM

Sorry for the frustration guys! I've change it so you have a chance to 'reenter' the code (well, a new one) if your code is incorrect/timed out.
kjfitz
11/23/06 12:07 PM

I just hit that. Thanks!
jbottero
04/11/07 11:55 AM

Also, I don't know if this has changed, but the Captchas are not random. Either they are canned images, or the code that generates them needs a little work. If the site is on some kind of LAMP server, you can use GD / FreeType and about 50 lines of code (along with a font file of your choice) to do it. I'm using such a set-up on several sites. I'd be glad to provide the code snip if anyone is interested.
nic
04/11/07 12:34 PM

Every time I hit reload, the text is different. Are you seeing the same words each time?

They should 'look' the same but be a different image each time you load a page.
Parabellum
04/11/07 05:11 PM

I get the same 100 or so combinations over and over. They're NOT random, for sure.

c9m7sP
c9YvrF
cfWb6Y
cKMc59

Those are the ones in my browser cache that start with the letter 'c', just as an example.
VGT Moderator
nic
04/11/07 06:31 PM

I must be missing something here... those numbers look random to me?
dda
04/11/07 06:44 PM

It's a fake random. Only a dozen of combinations. (perhaps more) All in my mac cache memory.
dda
nic
04/11/07 07:12 PM

Weird. Well I've updated the seed for the RNG, hopefully that'll produce some "more random" results.
Parabellum
04/11/07 07:32 PM

Randomly generated at one time, but re-used often would be my description of what's happening here.

IE's Auto Complete feature works 99% of the time for me. Just type the first digit or two, and if I've ever typed that string before it pops up as an option. Click and go. Handy for me, not so high security against spammers.
VGT Moderator
nic
04/11/07 07:38 PM

Ok, that explains it better. The digits 'look random' but the same digit sequences come up over and over again.

I think it has to do with my 'seed' of the random number generator (RNG). php5 no longer needs (and shouldn't get) a seed, so I removed it.

Hopefully that'll help create a good distribution of new sequences. Let me know if not.
jbottero
04/11/07 07:49 PM

Huh. When did you move to php5? I noticed it a long tima ago...
nic
04/11/07 08:40 PM

The php5 migration was quite a while ago, 1.5 years or more. However, the captcha generator is one of the few things that uses rand() on this site so I haven't seen any other problems with random number generation.

Oh well, thanks for bringing it up.
nic
04/15/07 09:26 PM

For those of you that noticed the captcha being "not so random", is it more random now?
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8289