Forums

Requests for locations or site functionality?

Pages: 1
Mojave
06/22/05 04:09 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Forums are a great idea, but I think they need to be more defined. Is the "Requests" forum for requesting locations or for requesting new functionality or both? Should they be separated?

Anyhow, some ideas:

Add tagging. Bottom up categorization through tagging is an important complement to top down categories - it's also the current rage! Some locations are just not categorized correctly and other categories need to be more specific (churches, temples, cathedrals) - tagging will help these problems, especially as more and more locations are added.

Entries should be editable (wiki?), at least by the poster.

Searching by tags. Remove 's' from the end of search keys (searching for "skyscrapers" should find "skyscraper").

Allow registered users to choose layout (simple lists, tabular views with photos, etc.).

Include RSS feeds for searches, which will create opportunities for external applications.

Add regional views, with links to all the locations in that region. I've seen this type of thing done before but haven't researched how to do it yet. "Memory maps" would also be great here.

Some of those may be more interesting than the others. I have plenty more ideas where these came from. ;-)
nic
06/22/05 09:06 AM

Quote:

Forums are a great idea, but I think they need to be more defined. Is the "Requests" forum for requesting locations or for requesting new functionality or both? Should they be separated?

I've separated the two into "Location Requests" and this forum, "Suggestions & Corrections".

Quote:

Add tagging. Bottom up categorization through tagging is an important complement to top down categories - it's also the current rage! Some locations are just not categorized correctly and other categories need to be more specific (churches, temples, cathedrals) - tagging will help these problems, especially as more and more locations are added.

Could you please explain further what the difference is here?

Quote:

Searching by tags. Remove 's' from the end of search keys (searching for "skyscrapers" should find "skyscraper").

I added removing 's' from the end of search keys, good idea.

Quote:

Entries should be editable (wiki?), at least by the poster.

I don't know about allowing everyone to edit their own yet, but that is a possibility. Currently, editing is only allowed by the moderators (me, and Alex C. (TexasAndroid)).

Quote:

Allow registered users to choose layout (simple lists, tabular views with photos, etc.).

Good idea.

Quote:

Include RSS feeds for searches, which will create opportunities for external applications.

Great idea.

Quote:

Add regional views, with links to all the locations in that region. I've seen this type of thing done before but haven't researched how to do it yet. "Memory maps" would also be great here.

Like how Google Sightseeing is doing it? I really like that idea, but I haven't looked into implementation yet. Soon, hopefully.

I will be implementing some of these ideas later today
AlbinoFlea
08/17/05 05:13 PM

Tagging would permit users to create their own micro-categories on the fly. For instance, currently there is only one category for Baseball Stadiums, under Buildings --> Sports - Baseball. The ability to tag these would permit a user to associate terms like "AA" or "Minor League" or "Alaskan League" with a map, and other users could search the tags for these terms, but the need to split the category further would be alleviated.

Of course, if

a) everyone described their maps in thorough detail, and
b) descriptions were searchable

similar functionality could be attained.

Flickr and del.icio.us are fairly typical examples of tagging in use.

AlbinoFlea
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2522