Forums

Ratings

Pages: 1
pmoore66
09/11/08 03:04 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I occasionally look at my entries to see how many hits they have...this inevitably leads to my sorting by Ratings.
My question is, what is being rated?

Are low ratings criticizing:
- the view I have decided to submit
- the actual object
- crappiness of the image

I often rank submittals by the content or even the composition.
Just wondering about the intention. Maybe it is better not to define the intention.

Along those lines, the sort for 10 ratings is by date when it seems that a 10 rating with 8 votes should rise to the top of the list.
PMOORE66
sculpture/architecture advocate
tlp333
09/11/08 03:39 PM

I really do not think there is any rhyme or reason to the ratings. Different individuals will rate maps a certain way for different reasons. People rate my celeb home posts all the time, but when I see the lower rated ones, I can never tell if people do not particularly like the celebrity whose home I posted, or if they are trying to tell me they think it is the wrong location, or if they just think it was a bad angle I chose to view the home. There is no specific criteria to go by when rating a map, so it is all very subjective.
kjfitz
09/11/08 04:00 PM

The noise in the ratings seems to be so high as to be useless. Sometimes you'll get a few 10s right after posting. That means people thought it was a cool post.

Low scores are another thing all together. Based on comments on my maps I get low scores from people because they feel a map has a political slant. Or because it is related to some demographic they despise, or because they are tired of seeing so many of a certain type of map, or because I pissed them off as a moderator, or (I assume) because they found the subject boring.

Some times a low score makes no sense at all. Same for high scores.

Bots also influence the scores. nic has gone out of his way to modify the algorithms to filter out bots hitting the scoring URLs but it still happens.

Other than the 10s showing me what people like in the day or two after I post a map, I pretty much ignore the scores anymore.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
milwhcky
09/11/08 05:15 PM

I've learned not to let low ratings get to me. Some really cool submissions are for some reason rated low, while some rather ordinary places can get high numbers.

While we're on the topic of ratings, my only problem has been with the math of the average ratings. Sometimes it gives an impossible average given the number of votes cast.
4.7 (2 votes) - http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/31589/
8.3 (2 votes) - http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/41359/
9.7 (2 votes) - http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/49295/
9.5 (3 votes) - http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/35017/

I'm guessing the bots have something to do with this?
Pdunn
09/11/08 10:43 PM

I generally try to only give high ratings to maps that have strong visual appeal and low ratings to those that don't. Otherwise, you do find users using the ratings as an opportunity to cast a vote for their favorite "anything" as a show of support for that "anything." You see a lot of that with College sporting teams and the homes of teen heart-throbs. My only objection to this kind of popularity contest is that when new users check the "Top Rated" maps, they get page after page of blandness, when there are so many really unique and visually appealing images in our collection.
nic
09/24/08 03:21 AM

I've debated keeping the rating system for a while. I have the same concerns you all do. It certainly isn't a metric I want VGT users to stress over, due to how fickle a 1-10 star rating system can be where anon visitors can vote, though I know our users do.

Bots shouldn't be a problem any more after the recent site face lift, as I updated the rating code to use JavaScript to vote (and no bots I know of will interact with the JS).

Thanks for pointing out the bad math. I've found a bug in the calculation logic, fixed it, and re-set the rating for all maps to their proper values.

What do you guys think? Is there something else that might work better?
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4268