Forums

Duplicate maps taken down... not duplicates

Pages: 1
imkjam
09/06/09 06:28 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have had a bunch of maps taken down that were "duplicates of..." but they go under new ownership or people have simply posted the wrong owner or not enough information and I have put up the correct owner, then they get taken down. Why take down the correct map and leave the incorrect one up?
Parabellum
09/06/09 07:25 PM

Can you give us an example?

More info links to show your correction is indeed a correction are helpful too.
VGT Moderator
Pdunn
09/06/09 09:01 PM

imkjam,
In cases like yours, we would never replace the previous submitters map with that of someone providing new or revised info, but instead would edit the original submitter's posting with the new or corrected material — provided, of course, the new information is accompanied by credible evidence supporting the change, rather than simply take one submitter's word over another's.
imkjam
09/07/09 04:14 PM

Yea, http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/36230/, that is one, I will go back later and find you a bunch others when I have a minute, another is the old marvin davis estate that now belongs to Eric L Smidt, that was taken down.
imkjam
09/07/09 04:15 PM

all the homes i post i have looked up the property owner on blockshopper or propertyshark so they are all accurate. one or two times i screwed up and posted the house next door as theirs, but those weren't even noticed and not duplicates.
neotrix
09/08/09 02:56 AM

hi imkjam,

like pdunn wrote. go to the map, write a comment with the correct information (proved) about the map, so the moderators can change it.

I think it is very good that there is someone who checks maps and wants to correct them. So the quality of the maps could keep up.

I also look up on blockshopper or propertyshark before posting a map (for current owners).
The thing the map you mentioned above is correct. John Paul DeJoria isn't the owner so far, he was the owner. But when i looked it up in 2007, this information wasn't there. They changed the entry since.

greetz
neotrix
imkjam
09/08/09 03:46 PM

can i just send you which ones were taken down that are correct? it would be a total pain for me to have to find the address on zillow then go to blockshopper and link all of the info. You can check any of my maps, they are correct.
kjfitz
09/08/09 04:31 PM

Once they are deleted we mods don't have access to the info.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
nic
09/09/09 02:56 AM

imkjam - I hope to, within a few weeks, have a tool where you can re-submit previously-rejected maps with your corrections. I should be able to resurrect all old posts for that.
imkjam
09/09/09 01:02 PM

ok, so ones that were taken off, i will be able to re-submit without just starting over again? I would appreciate you guys checking the info on my maps before deleting them saying they are duplicates when I'm actually correcting it to the proper ownership, because I have put up a lot of maps that were taken down, and the ones that they were taken down for are wrong. I look up all the listings so they should be right.

Here are a few
Colin Sapire
Leo Vecellio
Todd Gelfand
Roger Davis
kjfitz
09/09/09 01:27 PM

Quote:

I would appreciate you guys checking the info on my maps before deleting them saying they are duplicates when I'm actually correcting it to the proper ownership, because I have put up a lot of maps that were taken down, and the ones that they were taken down for are wrong.

I'm sorry but that just isn't how it works. There is a 'Check For Duplicates' button on the submission form. It is your responsibility to click that button and make sure you are not wasting your own time BEFORE you click 'Submit Map.' The moderators do this out of enjoyment of the site. We are not here to fix your mistakes when you don't follow the process. I'm really sorry you spent quality time creating a good post only to see it deleted. In the future start with the URL and see if it is a dupe BEFORE you put the time into the rest of the submission.

As has already been stated above you don't correct or update info in a map by submitting a new map. You enter the new data in the comments of the already existing map. We will almost never delete an old map and replace it by a new map with updated information.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
nic
09/09/09 03:11 PM

Additionally, I've updated the Submit Map page to notify you, immediately after you enter the URL, of how many maps are within 0.2km. This should help indicate if your URL is potentially a dupe.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5399