Forums

It's not an amusement park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1
AKpilotEMT
11/08/10 05:14 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi,

Why was commenting disabled so that I (or anyone else) can never find out the name of a place in America that someone just submitted?

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/amusement-park-1/

I have repeatedly asked if the name of this "amusement park" could be provided but my questions have been deleted. I don't understand this. Is asking for a proper name bad?

And then I submitted a map that didn't supply a proper name nor did the map title clearly state what it truly is and it got rejected . . . even though you accept maps like it. There was nothing wrong with my questioning on the amusement park nor was there anything wrong with my rejected submission.

Why is this stuff happening around here?

Peace,
Chris
AKpilotEMT
11/08/10 05:22 PM

P.S. the map submitted that was rejected TWICE is a building...

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=pw4hdb87x3bn&scene=21382821&lvl=1&sty=o

What's wrong with that compared to http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/amusement-park-1/ ??

At least my submission IS a building. Is it not? Look at it. The other map in question isn't even what it says it is. If it's an Amusement park, why can't I find ANY information about it on the internet? Did the FBI erase every trace of it? And why does it show up in other imagery as a parking lot? If it was torn down or if it's brand new, there'd be information on it. Wouldn't there be? If it exists then I'd like to go there and enjoy the rides. I will pay to take a hundred under-privileged children so they can have a nice time there. We will plan this for April 1st. I'll take pictures to share. But who wants to bet that "amusement park" isn't an amusement park? And if it's not -- why mislead people? Is honesty too much to ask for?
mlc1us
11/08/10 05:33 PM

From Wikipedia: "Most amusement parks have a fixed location, as compared to traveling funfairs and carnivals. These temporary types of amusement parks, are usually present for a few days or weeks per year, such as funfairs in the United Kingdom, and carnivals (temporarily set up in a vacant lot or parking lots) and fairs (temporarily operated in a fair ground) in the United States. The temporary nature of these fairs helps to convey the feeling that people are in a different place or time."

Quote:

And then I submitted a map that didn't supply a proper name nor did the map title clearly state what it truly is and it got rejected . . . even though you accept maps like it. There was nothing wrong with my questioning on the amusement park nor was there anything wrong with my rejected submission.

Please refer to previous forum posting: http://virtualglobetrotting.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8176/an/0/page/0#8176
mlc1us
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
AKpilotEMT
11/08/10 05:50 PM

mlc1us, so what Wikipedia is saying is there is a term in the U.S. to distinguish an "amusement park" that picks up and moves around from a true amusement park that stays in one place, like Disney World.

Is the Empire State Building not a "completed construction project"? Sure. Of course. But we call it a building. And in the U.S. we call Six Flags and Disney World amusement parks. While a carnival might, according to Wikipedia, technically be an "amusement park" that's not what it we call it. When rides and games comes temporarily and occupies, say, a parking lot, and then leaves not to be seen again for awhile, it's just a carnival. To call a carnival an amusement park is misleading, basically a lie.

And if someone asks for an Amusement park's name, why should their question be deleted 3 or 4 times?

If there was a map of an American baseball field but no proper name was included, would you delete someone's question if they were asking for its name? Or only is I asked?
kkeps
11/08/10 06:17 PM

This is the amusement park in question:

http://www.peachtreerides.com/

There's a trailer down the road on the map advertising the place.
AKpilotEMT
11/08/10 08:41 PM

Quote:

This is the amusement park in question:

http://www.peachtreerides.com/

There's a trailer down the road on the map advertising the place.

Thank you for the link.

I looked all throughout their site about them being an amusement park at that location in the submitted map. Couldn't find anything. If it is there, I do sincerely apologize for not seeing it, truly I do. Would you be kind enough to point it out to me? I did see the word "carnival" used a lot . . . but nothing about that location being an amusement park.

And again I ask -- was it wrong of me to ask for the name of the submitted amusement park? Because of the fact that my asking was deleted 3 or 4 times, I'm led to believe that it was wrong of me to ask. Was it?
kkeps
11/08/10 08:46 PM

Here's the trailer, AK

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=33.734763,-84.392636&panoid=aFsKWNA9gwbSNIdccpuzxw&cbp=12,278.65,,1,-3.11&ll=33.734851,-84.392638&spn=0.008904,0.01929&t=h&z=16
AKpilotEMT
11/10/10 08:15 PM

Quote:

Here's the trailer, AK

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=33.734763,-84.392636&panoid=aFsKWNA9gwbSNIdccpuzxw&cbp=12,278.65,,1,-3.11&ll=33.734851,-84.392638&spn=0.008904,0.01929&t=h&z=16

So what are you saying? My questions haven't been answered. You'd think an amusement park, on their website, would say, "Come find us HERE! Here's our address. Here's the directions." Right? Maybe they're stupid and didn't think of that? Or maybe the "Amusement park" map is just a carnival? Which do you think?

The map in question is NOT an amusement park and with the comments shut off, no one will ever know that. Why was my questioning the map's legitimacy wrong?
kkeps
11/10/10 09:15 PM

Ok, you seem to be making a huge deal out of this. There are plenty of these "useless" submissions accepted every week, and only the moderators can do anything about it. I have no idea why this is so important to you. If I say an amusement park on street view in a parking lot, I'd say "Hmm, that's interesting, I should post it" and not obsess over where it's located. This is a travelling amusement park that wouldn't have a steady address, and if you want to learn more about it, look at the FAQ on the park's website. This is a site for posting interesting and unique maps, not complaining over the intricacies of the map subjects. Just have fun, and don't nitpick the little things.
AKpilotEMT
11/10/10 10:34 PM

Quote:

Ok, you seem to be making a huge deal out of this. There are plenty of these "useless" submissions accepted every week, and only the moderators can do anything about it. I have no idea why this is so important to you. If I say an amusement park on street view in a parking lot, I'd say "Hmm, that's interesting, I should post it" and not obsess over where it's located. This is a travelling amusement park that wouldn't have a steady address, and if you want to learn more about it, look at the FAQ on the park's website. This is a site for posting interesting and unique maps, not complaining over the intricacies of the map subjects. Just have fun, and don't nitpick the little things.

I'm not saying the submission in question is useless, it's just calling something one thing when it truly has a different name. Would you post a picture of a Chevy to the internet and tell people it's a Ford? Maybe you didn't know better. Okay. I won't fault you for that. But what if someone told you, "That's a Ford." Would you keep calling it a Chevy?

You seem to be making the point that name doesn't matter. Someone could have just posted Disney World and called it "Amusement park" and that would have been good enough? If something has a name -- provide it and/or if something's a clementine, don't call it an orange. I don't think that's too much to ask. I don't think my asking for the name of the "amusement park" was wrong. No one yet as bothered to apologize to me for deleting my question asking for the name.

If I was a moderator, I would have allowed someone's comment asking for the name and I would change the map's title to "carnival." To leave it how it is now is a lie.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5383