Forums

Street View category

Pages: 1
alfjon
11/11/10 02:45 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
It´s a disasterarea....

Events - People doing Interesting Things (1334)

Vehicle - Cars and Trucks (2840)

Art - Advertising, Signs, Billboards and Writing (1772)

Most of the maps are not good and in most cases just garbage, You moderators Must set up new rules for approving maps.
nic
11/11/10 03:18 PM

Please be respectful of others' interests -- "good" is an opinion. Different people like different things.

Moderators have specific rules for approving maps. Maps are submitted by community members, and the moderators respect that different members have different interests -- their role is to be impartial, and they do a great job of it. They approve maps as long as the thumbnails are correct, the links are right, and appropriate more info / descriptions are provided.

Living within the confines of respecting others' interests, how would you suggest improving the categories you mention? Making sub-categories that split things out?

When you view a category, the default is by # of views, which will over time push unpopular maps towards the bottom. I think this is one good way to weed out generally unpopular submissions. Do you have other ideas?

Following your logic, I see a Street View map you submitted in 2008 (http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/forklift-and-workers/) that only has 16 views over nearly two years. Should I delete that because, by measure of popularity, it is "not good" and "garbage"? I personally think it's a cool mural!

If you have honest suggestions about how to approach your concern, I'm open ears. So far, we haven't seen solutions besides "delete what I'm not interested in". That's not a solution!
AKpilotEMT
11/11/10 04:48 PM

Alfjon is way on target and seemingly nobody is listening.

This? Really???

If it's interesting to one person on the planet then it's cool to be here?

Also every single car?? Really? If I really love cars, I could up and down every single street and submit every single car? Every single freakin' car on the whole planet that looks good enough in Street View? Seriously limitless? Look what's happened in the past 24 hours with cars. Is that really a good thing for the site?

Yes, all those cars are interesting to people, to someone, but my God, man, do you really want to include ANYTHING that is interesting to ANYONE? What about trees? And surely intersections are interesting to someone. That idea has been shot down, maybe because they were protest submissions but what if someone comes along who really truly legitimately digs intersections? Will you allow that person to submit hundreds or thousands of them, out of respect for what they like?

Street View is out of hand. Unless there is something truly unique about them, people and cars need to be purged. Someone reading is not unique. A billboard for a movie is pure clutter. Etc. Etc. It doesn't matter if at least one person likes it. There really should be some standard, otherwise let people self-moderate. If you're going to allow basically anything then moderate after-the-fact and/or if someone complains about a truly useless submission . . . although right now I'm not sure what would be truly useless if at least one person likes it. Right?

All the cars and people (and doctor's homes) just doesn't make sense. It's not good for the site.
It's even driven people away.

?
alfjon
11/11/10 04:50 PM

Quote:

Please be respectful of others' interests -- "good" is an opinion. Different people like different things.

Moderators have specific rules for approving maps. Maps are submitted by community members, and the moderators respect that different members have different interests -- their role is to be impartial, and they do a great job of it. They approve maps as long as the thumbnails are correct, the links are right, and appropriate more info / descriptions are provided.

Living within the confines of respecting others' interests, how would you suggest improving the categories you mention? Making sub-categories that split things out?

When you view a category, the default is by # of views, which will over time push unpopular maps towards the bottom. I think this is one good way to weed out generally unpopular submissions. Do you have other ideas?

Following your logic, I see a Street View map you submitted in 2008 (http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/forklift-and-workers/) that only has 16 views over nearly two years. Should I delete that because, by measure of popularity, it is "not good" and "garbage"? I personally think it's a cool mural!

If you have honest suggestions about how to approach your concern, I'm open ears. So far, we haven't seen solutions besides "delete what I'm not interested in". That's not a solution!

Wow alot of text..........

Well I do not know your position here, But IMO to clean up the categorys, Always include Info Link or a description of the object.
That is my idea.

LOL I remember that map you mention, It was one of the very first maps from New Zeeland after it went online. I really thought it had potential to be popular.
But I will have absolutly no problem having it removed and deleted.
It is clearly a bad map!!!

I have asked for different of my maps to be deleted, but I have been refused with the explenation. It is a valid map. After Street View become bigger and bigger, more and more bad maps are turning up and it is up to the moderators to put some time in and see if the maps have any value or not.

We all want a good informative website don´t we?
When I joined, I joined because the website had potential and had new and interesting maps every day. Now 4 years later I almost blow up in anger over all spam and maps from other sites being posted here from for example Streetviewfun.com.

I want to bring back the good old Virtualglobetrotting I joined 4 years ago.
nic
11/11/10 05:08 PM

Quote:

it is up to the moderators to put some time in and see if the maps have any value or not.

No, it's not.
AKpilotEMT
11/11/10 05:09 PM

I also would have no problem with the removal of most of my Street View maps. Some are for legitimate real places that are what this site was about when it was the good old days before approval of next to everything in Street View. Other Street Views of mine I have submitted for the heck of it and they are pure clutter and should be removed along with everyone else's of a similar nature. I've never heard of Streetviewfun.com but that could almost be another name for Virtual Globetrotting. This place can be fun, too, but it doesn't need to include every car and every person who is doing something other than standing or walking.
nic
11/11/10 05:12 PM

You can choose to ignore them. They don't dilute the quality of your posts.

End of story.
kjfitz
11/11/10 05:17 PM

Quote:

Well I do not know your position here...

nic owns VGT.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
AKpilotEMT
11/11/10 06:04 PM

Quote:

You can choose to ignore them. They don't dilute the quality of your posts.

End of story.

With all due respect, it really shouldn't be the end of story. Keep the floor open to others' opinions should they wish to chime in. Those who are against this stuff have a point. We're not wrong. We're not stupid. This site has become an extremely watered down version of what it was and what it could be. We're not talking out of our butts with the intent of being annoying or troublesome. We'd like to see this place be better.

All those people and cars and such simply can't be ignored. If you're looking at something in downtown Rio or Manhattan, for instance, and you want to see what's nearby, it might be completely cluttered with cars and people. It used to be maybe there wouldn't be anything interesting for half a mile or a mile or 2 or 3 or maybe something was the only truly legitimately interesting thing to see . . . but now it could be surrounded by clutter. It can be like having to navigate through a garden of weeds to find one good carrot to eat.

There just doesn't need to be all these cars and people if there are other sites that focus on that. Every viewable Dodge or Mercedes on the planet IS overkill.
alfjon
11/11/10 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

it is up to the moderators to put some time in and see if the maps have any value or not.

No, it's not.

Quote:

Quote:

Well I do not know your position here...

nic owns VGT.

Alright. Well then you have lost a member.

Thanks for this 4 years.

Edited by alfjon (11/11/10 06:19 PM)
adrbr
11/16/10 08:57 PM

One of my post was quoted in the forum, tell me how many of that type have been posted here (?) Will take the opportunity to discuss issues, not personal taste.
Pdunn
11/16/10 09:46 PM

Don't sweat it, adrbr. We have appreciated your maps for quite some time and don't appreciate the criticism they or any maps have received. You will find there's always someone who'll take exception with something. I for one, prefer the "transient" maps over any other. So when you capture a scene that could only happen at the very instant the Google car drives by, that, in my opinion trumps all the other postings. But the key lesson to take away from all of this, is that opinions and tastes vary as greatly and as often as the types of maps and types of posters we have at VGT.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5127