Forums

Notifications

Pages: 1
nic
11/04/10 02:22 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi everyone,

In addition to the Achievements system (see http://virtualglobetrotting.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8251/Main/8245/#Post8251), I added a Notifications system that I'd like to get feedback on.

When certain events occur related to you on the website, you will get notified of it, such as:
* Getting a map approved or rejected
* Getting a comment on your map or pic
* Getting an achievement
* Getting or losing a title

The notifications appears as a yellow bar at the top of the screen when you get a new one, though you can ignore it and it will go away. There's a new Notifications section in your user menu.

Do the achievements help?
Are they too noisy?
Would you like a way to turn them off?
Tyco
12/03/10 05:34 PM

Nic,
Love the site but noticing one small problem, and it might be user error. When you go to submit a map and enter the link the (_maps with_ K) does not always find all of the maps. It is so much nicer then having to click on it so see if there is anything close, but today alone I had several duplicates rejected because I was relying on that notice. I don't like sending in maps that duplicates. Just wanted to bring it up in case other people are having the same issue.
Thanks,
nic
12/03/10 05:44 PM

Hey Tyco,

Can you send me the URL of an example that wasn't working?

What browser and OS are you using?

Let me know!
Tyco
12/05/10 11:10 PM

I will the next time I notice. I have been ignoring it and just hitting the button to see what is close.
Tyco
12/17/10 07:04 PM

Happened again:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=-70.766224,11.73224&spn=0.006857,0.027509&t=h&z=15

Indicates no maps within .2 k but you hit the nearby button and ther is one .1K away. I have screen shot I will email.
Tyco
nic
12/18/10 01:19 PM

Wonderful, I will look into this today. Thanks for the details!
nic
12/19/10 07:19 PM

Thanks Tyco. It looks like my calculations that limited the search area didn't work as well near the poles. I've updated the algorithm a bit, and I think the math is better now. The Submit page now finds the 1 nearby station.
Tyco
12/22/10 12:52 AM

Glad to do my little part. Keep up the great work.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nic, TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Parabellum, Pdunn, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5177