Forums

Subscribe To

Pages: 1
jbottero
01/03/11 12:39 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I had this idea...

There are certain members that consistently post maps I like.

There are as well certain categories I'm interested in.

Feature:

Allow users to sign up to "follow" other users, and cats.

Now, you can't send an email *every* time a cat or user updates, but a weekly digest would be any easy code and less server intensive.

I can imagine a script that runs on a cron job once a week that digests each user's subscriptions and sends the user an email.

Yes, it will require some work to code, but it shouldn't be that hard or server intensive, especially if you run the cron job at 1 or 2 am (or when ever low use is for VG).

Easy money in php...

- Jake
nic
01/03/11 04:44 PM

I like the idea a lot Jake! It should be fairly easy to implement. Would you be able to add this feature suggestion on http://virtualglobetrotting.uservoice.com ? UserVoice helps me prioritize requests.
jbottero
01/03/11 10:48 PM

Well, actually, I've re-thought it.

Given the traffic that VG gets, a simple cron job - to - mail is probably not practical.

I''m not a mail server expert.

But, it would be a SWELL feature.
nic
01/04/11 12:32 PM

The number of logged in users who would have subscriptions would be relatively small compared to the overall site usage. I don't imagine it being a burden.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3409