Forums

Problem!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
DonMartini
06/08/06 08:59 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Uh oh! I think we have a problem. Google maps has made some kind of update whereby you automatically will be transfered to the centre of a city. So if you have found something by typing 'Rome, Italy' for example, you won't see the site, but the centre of Rome.
I guess this is something to look after...

Good luck,

Maarten
kjfitz
06/08/06 11:34 AM

Thanks for making us aware of the problem. Let us look over the various options and we (nic) will then do something.
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
dda
06/08/06 02:55 PM

The same everywhere.
The only way i've found to avoid this problem is to not fill the search field. But now, you have the ugly and place waste vertical "Example searches" bar.
dda
dda
06/08/06 02:59 PM

I just noticed that they have replaced the red pin by a strange dead christmas tree.
dda
AKpilotEMT
06/08/06 03:17 PM

Yeah, I'm seeing this problem now and NOT liking it.

I've been entering coordinates lately to find certain places and when the coordinates are not exact then i need to zoom way in and look closely within an 1/8th of a mile or so... but now there's not even an arrow when i enter the coordinates and when you zoom way in the arrow moved a bit out of screen so some recentering would have to be manually done and the arrow helped me know where I'd be looking (then to submit a map I could re-find the spot without the arrow) ... now without the arrow upon entering coordinates it's not easy to locate that exact spot where something might be (if it's something large like an airport with paved runways then there'd be no problem but a possible extinct dirt runway or a small heliport ... or maybe a house or something small... HA, no luck.)

Okay, that has no real bearing on how Virtual Globetrotting works but it has an impact on my searching for stuff i want to find!

What is happening with Google Maps makes this site look almost dead. I was just rolling again with new maps! (I've got over 30 done and ready to add!)

Is this the end?
dda
06/08/06 03:29 PM

All the maps with city in the http address are now wrong.
dda
kjfitz
06/08/06 04:03 PM

In the moderator forums we're discussing how to fix this.
kjfitz
TexasAndroid
06/08/06 04:08 PM

This is not the end. The Lat/Log are still there in all the URLs. This is going to take some work by Nic, the site admin/owner, to clean up, but all the needed data is still there in the URLs.

Right now we Managers could manually start cleaning search terms out of the URLs, but given the number of maps, that's a project of immense scale.

So I think we're going to need to wait for Nic to be able to come up with a behind the scenes solution to the situation. And depending on his workload, that may take a few days. I know we all want things to be back at once, but this may be a time for a little patience. All the pieces of the fix are still there in the VGT database, Nic just needs to find the correct solution for the current situation, and the time to implement that solution.

So this is far from the END for VGT.
TexasAndroid
kjfitz
06/08/06 04:21 PM

I just found a clumsy workaround.

Navigate to the map you want and click 'link to this page' as you always do.

If you had a city and state/country in the URL or address bar the map now jumps to the 'center' of the city.

Copy the long/lat from the ll= field of the URL and paste it in as the q= parameter.

Example:

This eiffel Tower URL that screws up by jumping to central Paris:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=paris+france&t=k&om=1&ll=48.858274,2.294552&spn=0.001211,0.00339

becomes:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=48.858274,2.294552&t=k&om=1&ll=48.858274,2.294552&spn=0.001211,0.00339

The URL now works as it did before this change with a full width screen and no push-pin or dead tree icons.

In the 'old days' there would have been a red push-pin where the URL was, it is no longer there.

---

Another workaround for new posts is to just enter the country, instead of city and country, that eliminates push-pins and gives you a wide screen too.
kjfitz
nic
06/08/06 04:44 PM

Uggh way for Google to break backwords-compatiblity. I'd be suprised if they kept this for very long, I'm sure there are millions of links out there that are now essentially 'broken'.

However, VGT has already corrected for this error. We're basically dropping the q= part of the Google Maps url and building our own URL from scratch from the lat/lon that we know.

Let me know if there are any problems, but my quick 1-line fix seems to work fine.
dda
06/08/06 05:54 PM

You're great, Nic !

The reason why they did that is probably because no one should avoid the beautiful half vertical blank screen.
Potentially advertising space...
dda
AKpilotEMT
06/08/06 07:27 PM

Quote:

I'd be suprised if they kept this for very long, I'm sure there are millions of links out there that are now essentially 'broken'.

What about those millions of broken map links? Could that be something Google just doesn't care about?

The replacement fix seems to work but it's not perfect. No longer is it capable of showing location except in coordinate form. Yes, location should be in the map description page but still...
kjfitz
06/08/06 07:47 PM

A bit cludgey but this also works:

q=48.858165,2.294340+(Paris,France)

This also works:

q=0,0+(Paris,France)

Edited by kjfitz (06/08/06 07:57 PM)
AKpilotEMT
06/09/06 08:04 AM

Quote:

q=48.858165,2.294340+(Paris,France)

This one's better than the second. Looks better than just the coordinates there.

I'm just glad it's workin again. Was fretting there for a moment. Literally fretting. Almost did some duck and cover drills, thought the world might end!

Wonder how long before Google's flooded with complaints and they change it back. Surely they know what's happening. Right?! Fine to keep the upside down, lightless Christmas tree... but the Link To This Page function has become completely useless!
romulusnr
06/09/06 05:20 PM

This has got to be a Google bug, because it breaks "Link to this page" links.

Try it... Search for a city, scan out of the city, then click "Link to this page". Whee!
romulusnr
06/09/06 05:22 PM

And I really don't know why Google doesn't give you the ability to hide the damned sidebar like Yahoo does (and to a limited extent, so does LL). Google added that little corner overview map practically the day Yahoo Beta (which has a similar corner map) went live.
kjfitz
06/09/06 05:33 PM

They've changed the precedence of the parameters. Before the ll= (log/lat) always took precedence if it was there and whatever was in q= was just treated as datafill.

Now it first positions the map at the ll= coordinates but then shifts to the q= location.

That last little bit is new.

Also the push pin is now associated with the ll= instead of the q= but only created when it has to do a lookup of the long/lat based on what it derives from the data in the search field.
kjfitz
AKpilotEMT
06/12/06 08:03 AM

Why's this showing the billboard?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=32.767141,-96.993184&t=k&om=0&ll=32.757072,-97.011595&spn=0.005612,0.01678

I just submitted a few maps with this format... do you automatically correct it so there's no billboard?

Ugh. Can I keep submitting with that format URL or what? Please advice.

Thanks!

CW
AKpilotEMT
06/12/06 08:08 AM

And...

I submitted this a few days ago:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&t=k&ll=32.73200300,-96.97593200

When clicking for the Google Map,
why does it show up in that stupid half screen and not the full w i d e s c r e e n?

(i never submit half screen maps. can't stand them!)

thanks again
TexasAndroid
06/12/06 10:39 AM

Google changed things such that it broke the page for almost any link that included the q= section. The format you give above would not be broken, but large parts of the site were broken. Any page that had a city, or city/country in the q= was broken, which was a large percentage of the maps on this site.

Nic introduced a quick and dirty fix to have the site rebuild all Google URLs on the fly to get around this change. The fix is not perfect, but it does the job for now. We are not done with the issue, by far, so things may change a bit more.

But for now, as long as Google has the contents of the q= section overriding the lat/lon, there's not much we can do with the site besides rebuild the URL on the fly.
TexasAndroid
AKpilotEMT
06/12/06 12:15 PM

Well, i just hope there's the ability to have nice, clean W i d e s c r e e n maps when those are what are submitted. I was even going to volunteer to send in new URLs for maps I find that are not w i d e s c r e e n format. (I just can't stand the half screens!)
TexasAndroid
06/12/06 02:28 PM

Actually, since we are now building the URL on the fly in all GMaps cases, I have an idea to take care of this once and for all.

nic, could you add to the code that builds the URL a section to add a "q=lat,lon" like AKpilotEMT showed a few comments back? If that works, then we'll have the wide-screen on every link out of this page.

That then only leaves the missing span values to deal with.
TexasAndroid

Edited by TexasAndroid (06/12/06 02:30 PM)
kjfitz
06/12/06 05:40 PM

This just changed again. Obviously Google hasn't figured out how they are going to do this and are using us as beta testers.

Now... if you put in q=<lat/long> as you mention above you get the dead christmas tree and a balloon with the coordinates as a pointer. Yesterday you didn't.

Right now the only thing that seems to work for a full screen without shifting the focus or getting the dead tree is q=<country>.

I suggest one of two things:

1) We let this debounce and see what happens after another week of Google messing with the code.

2) Or if we really want something implemented now we should go with building a URL and insert the q=<country> on the fly. The country name can be extracted from the submission data as every database entry should have a country assigned.
kjfitz
dda
06/12/06 07:58 PM

The new Google Earth application allows a full screen mode.
dda
nic
06/12/06 08:13 PM

Hmm I'd rather wait a week and see what happens before making more changes. Sounds like they're still trying to figure things out. Anyone know of posts on other forums with other upset users?
DonMartini
06/15/06 02:09 PM

An other thing I was wondering: is there something you can do about the zoom level? Cause now the view is completely zoomed in. Probably this issue is mentioned already, but I couldn't found it that fast.
I'm happy though that everything works again! If google-maps keeps bothering us, maybe this site provides new oppurtunities: http://maps.ask.com/maps .
TexasAndroid
06/16/06 08:17 AM

That's the Span issue I mentioned a few posts back. It's not instantly solvable like the lat/lon thing was. The site has stored the lat/lon of the maps separately for a long time for a variety of reasons. That allowed Nic to add one line of code to rebuild the URLs as needed, because all the separate pieces for a basic GMaps URL were stored. But I do not beleive we separately store the Span/view level data. Which means that before that could be used to rebuild the URLs, it would need to be extracted from all 19K maps into new database fields. A bit more complicated of a job..... Especially when GMaps may still be in flux.
TexasAndroid
nic
06/18/06 02:42 AM

Thankfully, the database still stores the original "submitted-with" url so we have the &spn= field saved for maps submitted with a google maps URL. I can parse this out on the fly.

OK, I've made two changes:
1) The q=lat,lon was added to google map urls so we 'go widescreen'
2) For google map urls, if the map was submitted with a google maps URL and it has the proper span level (&spn=xxx), I'll tack that onto the new 'rebuilt' url so it'll look essentially the same as the submission.

Let me know of any problems.
kjfitz
06/18/06 02:45 AM

lat/long in the q= gives us a dead christmas tree pointer and ballon. Can you insert <country> instead?
kjfitz
nic
06/18/06 02:48 AM

Yep, changed. I didn't see any side-effects, but let me know if you find any.
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 27284