06/18/06 02:49 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Perfect!!
kjfitz
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
DonMartini
06/19/06 06:28 AM

Wow! Everything is fixed again! Compliments!
Hinkkanen
06/19/06 01:47 PM

Great work! Been away most of the week and it's nice to come back and see that even my old submissions open now to a full width screen.
romulusnr
06/19/06 03:33 PM

I found a workaround... Manually tweak the Q to the country name. GM doesn't place a pin for countries, so it won't force you away from the LL.

Hmm. I guess this is the workaround you guys came up with too.
TexasAndroid
06/28/06 02:40 PM

Ok. We're not at 100% yet.

Certain countries (North Korea) still show the add bar on the left.

Some still do the dead tree bit, and yank the image off target (Hong Kong). On this latter, I suspect that it's because the country and city name match, so it is still acting like we are giving a city name.
TexasAndroid
romulusnr
06/28/06 02:54 PM

"Korea" by itself will work.

For Hong Kong, "China" would work. (For some reason "Macao" does not have the same problem.)

Technically it doesn't matter what place name you use If you say "China" for something Africa it won't care.
kjfitz
06/28/06 03:02 PM

"Congo, the Democratic Republic of the" too. Most countries that have the name "The <blah blah> of <whatever>" and usually go by the <whatever> are off.

I'm fine with that.

Maybe nic can add a todo to map the names someday but I'm not going to lose sleep over it as things are SO much better than when they were broken.

Others (by no means complete, just the ones I guessed and checked)

Congo, the Democratic Republic of the
Heard Island and Mcdonald Islands
Macedonia, the Former Yugoslav Republic of
Micronesia, Federated States of
Tanzania, United Republic of
Virgin Islands, U.s.
Virgin Islands, British
kjfitz
TexasAndroid
06/28/06 05:22 PM

Ok. This one is a problem. Items in Georgia (country) are being jumped to a spot in Georgia (US State). ^_^;;
TexasAndroid
TexasAndroid
06/29/06 03:53 PM

Guatemala, like Hong Kong, is another that drags the user off the spot of the map, making the entries for these countries all but useless.
TexasAndroid

Edited by TexasAndroid (06/29/06 03:53 PM)
romulusnr
06/29/06 04:05 PM

What is most annoying about all this is that it is a Google bug. I don't see how it can be interpreted any other way. "Link to this location" should link you to THIS LOCATION, not something else, certainly not what's in the query box, but the location you are currently viewing. It doesnt jibe.
romulusnr
06/29/06 04:54 PM

"Panama" takes you to Panama City (which is odd as Djibouti and Mexico don't have the same problem)
TexasAndroid
06/30/06 10:24 AM

I think what we need is a generic term to put in the q= field for these problem ones. Maybe for all maps. If we can come up with a generic search term that 1) does not generate dead trees, 2) does not yank the location off of the lat/long, 3) prevents the left ad section, and 4) is generic enough to not distract from viewing. If we can find something like this then it could be added instead of the country in the q= field of the generated URLs for at least the problem countries, if not for all entries.

I'm not having any brilliant ideas as to what to use, though. In theory we could just select a working country and use that one country for all maps, but that would likely violate #4 above, since if someone looked closely at the URL they might wonder why a map for Guatemala was showing France in the URL, as an example. It would work, but it would not be clean. I'm not coming up with a good solution, though.
TexasAndroid
romulusnr
06/30/06 02:31 PM

The other problem with all of this is that any such solution only works until GMaps changes behaviour again. Like, say they suddenly decide that a country name in q= places a pin at the geog. center of the country.

Frankly, I think people should encourage Google to revert the behavior. I'm a little surprised it's not more of an issue outside VGT-land.
romulusnr
06/30/06 06:01 PM

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Maps-Troubleshooting/browse_frm/thread/3db5aac2d592336e?hl=en

Wonder if that'll go anywhere.
nic
07/03/06 03:20 AM

I really hope we get some traction on this issue, quite annoying.
kjfitz
07/08/06 05:20 PM

I think they fixed the dead christmas tree drift. Now when q= has a city and state or city and country the map does not go zooming off somewhere else when you click "link to this page."
kjfitz
romulusnr
07/09/06 03:06 PM

I noticed that this morning... Note though that if you zoom out to include the tree and zoom down you'll be zooming into a view with the tree in it. Progress, I guess.
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 27283