Forums

Need help with Bing Maps URL

Pages: 1
hhgygy
10/01/12 10:27 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi folks.

I have a question which is partly connected to this site as well.

Bing Maps Bird Eye View links are oriented to the North by default.

Is there a command parameter in the Bing Map URL to force the view in a different direction?

For instance here is a link to the beautiful Ca' d'Zan Mansion in Sarasota

I would like it to be facing East (i.e. from the ocean) because it's the most spectacular that way.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=...0&encType=1

If I send the link above, it will open the bird eye view with default North orientation only.

Any tips are welcome.
mlc1us
10/01/12 01:42 PM

Your example should show up facing east in the VGT internal viewer, but it will face north in the Bing Maps interface. If you post a URL captured from the Bing maps interface, it will always show up facing north in the VGT internal viewer, but should face the direction you want in the Bing maps interface. I don't know of any way to get a URL that will work with both...sorry.
mlc1us
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
hhgygy
10/02/12 04:36 AM

The problem is that I did get the link from Bing Maps while it looked East, still it faces North when I open it in a new tab in my browser (or send it to someone for that matter)
hhgygy
10/02/12 10:50 AM

Update: I just posted some BEV links from Bratislava Slovakia to Virtualglobetrotting and none of them seems to work
mlc1us
10/02/12 02:23 PM

Unfortunately, when Microsoft did a re-design of Bing maps some time ago, the older URLs were no longer compatible. It's not just your URLs, it is all of them. The URL in your earlier posting is the older style URL and should work as expected with the VGT viewer, but not with Bing maps. The URLs for your Bratislava Slovakia are the newer style. They work with Bing maps, but not with the VGT viewer. As far as I know there is no way around these compatibility issues.
mlc1us
Virtual Globetrotting Moderator
nic
10/02/12 03:57 PM

It looks like the Bing Maps control we use (v6.3) can't "see" the Birds Eye imagery at that location. They have a newer control (v7.x) that I will try to upgrade to to see if it helps.
hhgygy
10/03/12 04:16 AM

OK, by the way the BEV in Bratislava is quite crappy: it does not look BEV at all, I mean all objects are photographed from the top rather than from an angle
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TexasAndroid, kjfitz, AlbinoFlea, Hinkkanen, Pdunn, Parabellum, dda, mlc1us, milwhcky, gordonhigh, Xeba73, tallturtle82, Fab, Matheus_ 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3036