Welcome to a new scavenger hunt! We do these occasionally. Everyone seems ready for a change from the weekly Photo Safaris.
This hunt's theme is Transient Maps. These are items that are not always fixed in one place. Well, OK, there are a *few* non-transient categories to flesh it all out. Have fun with this and if its popular we'll do them a lot more often to mix things up.
Here's how it works. You submit one map for each category. Maps must be from Google Street View or Google Inside.
- All maps submitted for a scavenger must be new and unique (no duplicates of old maps!).
- To submit a map for the Scavenger Hunt, submit a map as normal. On the submissions page, you will have a chance to select a category to submit to.
- Once a map is approved by the moderators, you will receive the points for that category.
- Any submission for any subject will be invalid if it is in the vicinity of another submission of the same category/subject by any poster.
- The Scavenger Hunt ends on the date listed. At that point, the user with the most point wins. Ties are allowed.
- Moderators reserve the right to add additional limits and restrictions to any item at any time to preserve the spirit of the hunt.
- Moderators reserve the right to award the stink eye to sea lawyers who get in arguments over other people's posts and whether they are legit. It's a game, folks! It is supposed to be fun.
Post your finds to an appropriate category.
These notes apply to some categories (as marked):
NOTE 2 - Include link to IMDB or Wikipedia.
NOTE 3 - Include artist in the title and a link to a web page with the history / background of the art.
NOTE 4 - Include a Wikipedia link.
NOTE 5 - Photos of items in ads and posters are not valid submissions.
This hunt ran from 2012-11-03 through 2012-11-16.
- adrbr - 106 points
- kkeps - 99 points
- WacoKidd110 - 93 points
- giove - 81 points
- daggerwell - 72 points
- Mike1989 - 55 points
- Dania - 48 points
- kuressaare - 35 points
- SpiderX22 - 28 points
- Tyco - 16 points
- Ad for a current movie (NOTE 2) (7 maps)
- Ad for a foreign language movie (NOTE 2) (5 maps)
- Ad for Apple iPod, iPad, or iTunes (7 maps)
- Airplane in flight (8 maps)
- Airplane on static display (6 maps)
- Articulated bus (8 maps)
- Bong or hookah (6 maps)
- Child on a swing (6 maps)
- Christmas decorations (8 maps)
- Cotton candy (2 maps)
- Easter decorations (3 maps)
- Ganesha statue (8 maps)
- Gilded gold dome on a temple or church (NOTE 4) (4 maps)
- Halloween decorations (5 maps)
- Handwritten menu (9 maps)
- People kicking around a ball or playing soccer (5 maps)
- People playing with a Frisbee (1 maps)
- Person directing traffic (7 maps)
- Person holding a sign (5 maps)
- Person looking at a folding map (6 maps)
- Person on a skateboard (6 maps)
- Person sweeping (7 maps)
- Person using a laptop computer (8 maps)
- Person wearing a sandwich board (3 maps)
- Picketers / protesters (4 maps)
- Reflection of the Google Inside photographer in a mirror (10 maps)
- Riding lawn mower with person riding it while mowing lawn (5 maps)
- Wind turbine (7 maps)
- Wine barrel (8 maps)
- 'Happy New Year' sign (2 maps)
- Animal (10 maps)
- Bird in flight (8 maps)
- Computer screen on which you can identify the program the user is running (NOTE 4) (8 maps)
- Fire hydrant with no hose attached spraying water (3 maps)
- Funeral procession with a hearse (3 maps)
- Giant fish (4 maps)
- Grape press / wine press (3 maps)
- Handgun, rifle, or shotgun (9 maps)
- Helicopter in flight (6 maps)
- Limo or car with 'Just Married' on it or decorated for the wedding party (3 maps)
- Maneki-neko (6 maps)
- Panhandler / homeless person holding a sign (5 maps)
- People kissing (5 maps)
- Political poster (NOTE 4) (7 maps)
- Polka-dot King of the Mountain jersey from the Tour de France
- Post-1950 painting in an art museum (NOTE 3) (5 maps)
- Poster for a specific sporting event (UFC, boxing, Tour de France, etc.) (7 maps)
- Reflection of the Google Tricycle (8 maps)
- Roller coaster (NOTE 4) (6 maps)
- St Patrick's Day decorations (1 maps)
- Window washers (3 maps)
- Airborne glider / parachute / para-sail / ultralight (4 maps)
- Ambulance with a person on a gurney (2 maps)
- Autograph of an identifiable celebrity (NOTE 4) (6 maps)
- Automobile accident (5 maps)
- Child on a tricycle (3 maps)
- Identifiable cruise ship (7 maps)
- Juggler juggling (3 maps)
- Person wearing a Santa suit (2 maps)
- Readable protest sign (4 maps)
- Someone doing yoga (4 maps)
- Someone getting a massage (7 maps)
Submissions:Browse All Maps >>
333 maps submitted.