Commemorating the 50th anniversary of the 1956 Hungarian revolution, this monument was made by the Artist Group iy and was inaugurated at 19 hours 56 minutes on 23 October, 2006.
Paying honour to the martyrs and heroes, the monument is located at the place of the statue of Stalin which was destroyed on 23 October 1956.
Closing an angle of 56 degrees, the triangular-shaped blocks forming the monument are made of more than 2000 iron columns in a wedge format. The highest point is 8 meters. The columns are made of made of iron or stainless steel that grows a special rust on it.
The square was renamed to "56ers Square" from its earlier name "March Square".