Petrochem Refinery was constructed by Shell Oil Company and began operation in 1950′s. Its original function was to manufacture and refine urea fertilizer.
Abandoned, Resources - Oil
In 1972 the plant was sold to USA Petroleum who developed the property to refine crude oil extracted from the surrounding landscape.
In 1980, USA Petroleum laid plans for a $100,000,000 expansion however the community organization Citizens to Preserve the Ojai (CPO), experiencing the impacts of such massive production, were able to stop the expansion claiming the facility was an environmental hazard. With the inability to expand, profits dwindled and operations ceased in 1984.