Whiteford Lighthouse is located off the coast at Whiteford Point near Whiteford Sands, on the Gower peninsula, south Wales. It is the only remaining cast iron lighthouse surrounded by the sea in the United Kingdom. It was built in 1865. The tower is 61ft high and made up of eight courses of cast iron plates. The light was extinguished in 1921.