The Abbeville Opera House, located on town square, opened on October 1, 1908 as a vaudeville house. As talkies came around, the venue was switched over to show motion pictures. During the 1940's it is listed as being operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary Wilby-Kincey. This phase of its existence lasted until the 1950's when it lost money and closed.
Buildings - Theaters
In 1968, the Abbeville Community Theater mounted a community effort to restore the old theater. Upon completion, it became the home to this group.