The Abou El Abbas Al Morsi Mosque is the largest and one of the most important Islamic monuments in the city. It is built In 1775 by the Algerians over the tomb of the thirteenth century Andalusia saint Ahmed Abu al-Abbas al-Mursi who had joined and then lead the Shadhali brotherhood. The interior is made up of eight monolithic granite columns and a colonnade of elongated arches. It was rebuilt in 1943 with the domes and the towering (73 meter) minaret. It is one of Alexandria’s foremost religious buildings and women can pray inside the mosque in a special shrine.