The airport was built in 1958 by Jim Annin and two partners. In the 1990s, local residents fought an attempt by Los Angeles County to buy the airpark and convert it to a regional airport.
The airport has been used as a filming location[ for projects including:
* The 1983 video for the "Weird Al" Yankovic song, "I Love Rocky Road", was filmed at this airport.
* The Macgyver tv series used the airport as the "Sparrow Ridge Airport", Arizona, in Season 1, episode 6, "Last Stand" (1985).
* For the 1997 film, Fire Down Below, a gas station/minimart set was built on the runway.
* The 2000 film, Space Cowboys, used this location as the fictional Bonneville Pass Airport.
* Biggest Loser, Couples 2010 season truck pull challenge