This is the former home of Alfred Maurice Bergere, for whom it is named. It is a stately, two-story, balconied edifice set back amid large trees and a lush lawn. Built in the 1870s for officers’ quarters, the Bergere House was part of the Fort Marcy military reservation. Of six houses built in this neighborhood for such purposes, it is one of two still extant. (The other is the Hewitt House). Bergere, an Englishman of Italian ancestry, occupied the house after the U.S. Army abandoned Fort Marcy. After many renovations, the house is now the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum's Research Center. Dedicated to the study of American modernism (1890-present), the center is located one block from the O'Keeffe Museum in downtown Santa Fe. Renovated and expanded by architect Richard Gluckman, who also renovated the main museum building, the structure features a new wing for the center's library and archive.
Homes - Historic