About 1830 (station established before 1700). Inactive since the 1920s or 1930s. 16 m (52 ft) 12-sided cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery rising from a 12-sided building. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. Faulx-Briole's photo appears at right, Malek Ressam has a more distant photo, Mohamed Bisker has a 2009 photo, and Google has a satellite view. The Peñon is a 16th century fortress at the center of the Amirauté (Admiralty), a complex of historic buildings on what was originally several small islands just off the coast. (In Arabic, this bastion was called simply El Djazaïr (the islands); "Alger" and "Algeria" are corruptions of this Arabic name.) Located near the foot of the Jetée du Nord, on a small island now connected to the mainland by a causeway.