Built by the first Schutztruppe when they arrived here around 1890. It is strategically positioned, overlooking the valley, though its battlements were never seriously besieged. A plaque on the front maintains the colonial view that it was built to ‘preserve peace and order’ between the local warring tribes – which is as poor a justification for colonialism as any. Inside is now the main historical section of the National Museum.
Category: Military - Bases