In the autumn of 1944 Canadian soldiers liberated the villages south of the Leopoldkanaal (Belgium).
On Oct. 6th 1944 they started construct a Bailey-bridge across the Leopoldcanal between Maldegem and Sint Laureins. A few days later they crossed the canal at the first fase of the so called: "Switchback Operation". The liberation of Zeeuws-Vlaanderen (Netherlands) followed.
This Bailey Bridge is probably one of the last remaining and still used Bailey bridges from World War 2.