Completed in 1852 for The Hon Robert Edward Ward, this imposing building is not so much a castle as an elegant mansion in the Elizabethan-Jacobean revival style. It has no fewer than 35 bedrooms and incorporates a huge saloon for musical recitals. When the then municipal authority, Bangor Borough Council, acquired the Castle and grounds, the music saloon became the Council Chamber. The first Council meeting was held there almost exactly 100 years after the building-now known as the Town Hall was first completed.

Situated in Castle Park the gardens have won many awards for their outstanding blooms - they are accessible for disabled visitors.
View in Google Earth Categories: Castles
By: DonMartini
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Advertisement