Completed in 1875, Barnes Convalescent Home was designed by Lawrence Booth (of Manchester) for the Manchester Royal Infirmary. The hospital takes it's name from Robert Barnes, who provided the Manchester Infirmary with a gift of £10,000 to fund it's construction.
At the time of its closure in September 1999, the hospital was mainly used to deal with stroke patients. Around 200 staff were employed. Since it closed, the hospital has been mostly empty, apart from a short period when it was used to house Kosovan refugees. On 12th November 1999, the original building became Grade II listed.
View in Google Earth Categories: Hospitals
Links: www.institutions.org.uk
By: Ozzy
Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload
Ozzy picture
@ 2007-01-29 20:44:58
Advertisement