Once the most fashionable church in 19th-century Paris, the neo-Gothic Basilique Ste-Clotilde is best known for its imposing twin spires.
The open space in front of the basilica is often filled with children playing ball, watched by parents relaxing in the shady garden.
The history of the Basilica of Ste-Clotilde began on February 16, 1827, at a meeting of the Paris municipal council. The council decided to build a church dedicated to St. Charles and nominated an architect for the job.
However, construction did not get underway until two decades and two architects later. Ste-Clotilde was ultimately built in the Neo-Gothic style in accordance with the preferences of the Paris prefect who took over the project in 1833.
Ste-Clotilde was consecrated on November 30, 1857, after 12 years of construction.
In 1896, on the 14th centenary of the baptism of Clovis, Pope Leo III designated the church of Ste-Clotilde a minor basilica.
Category: Religious - Christianity