Built in 1930 by the Independent Oil and Gas Company, this Tudor Revival style gas station was purchased by Phillips 66 Petroleum Company the same year. The original "house" style brick building was modified in the 1940's to the L-shaped plan seen today. Gas was sold and vehicles were serviced here in Baxter Springs through the 1970's. Grant funds from the NPS have made it possible to restore the building for use as a visitor's center. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.