The Birth house of Anton Chekhov is the place in Taganrog, Russia, where the famous writer Anton Chekhov was born. It is now a museum. The outbuilding on the territory of a property on Chekhov Street (formerly Kupecheskaya Street, later Alexandrovskaya Street, and renamed in honor of Chekhov in 1904, soon after his death) in Taganrog was built in 1859 of wattle and daub, plastered and whitened. The area taken up by the small outbuilding is 30.5 sq. meters. The house and grounds were owned by the merchant Gnutov in 1860, and by the petit bourgeois Kovalenko in 1880-1915.