Blackwall Tunnel - Northern Opening Plaque

Blackwall Tunnel - Northern Opening Plaque


London, United Kingdom (GB)
The Blackwall Tunnel connects the north side of the River Thams, Blackwall, to the south side, Greenwich. There are in fact two tunnels built at different times. The original tunnel, for which this plaque was placed, carries southbound traffic and the new tunnel carries northbound traffic.

The plaque advises that the tunnel was commenced in 1892 and was opened in 1897 by the Prince of Wales on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen. The plaque below the opening plaque advises that the plaque was moved to this location in 1959 to make way for the new Northern Approach to the tunnel.
The Blackwall Tunnel connects the north side of the River Thams, Blackwall, to the south side, Greenwich. There are in fact two tunnels built at different times. The original tunnel, for which this plaque was placed, carries southbound traffic and the new tunnel carries northbound traffic.

The plaque advises that the tunnel was commenced in 1892 and was opened in 1897 by the Prince of Wales on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen. The plaque below the opening plaque advises that the plaque was moved to this location in 1959 to make way for the new Northern Approach to the tunnel.
View in Google Earth Objects - Misc
Links: en.wikipedia.org, www.greenwich-guide.org.uk
By: chaswatson

Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement