1875. Reactivated (inactive 1990-1994); focal plane 261 ft (79.5 m); green flash every 5 s, day and night. 52 ft (16 m) octagonal cylindrical brick tower with lantern and double gallery, attached to a massive, 2-1/2 story brick Gothic double keeper's house; 1st order Fresnel lens (1856, removed from Cape Lookout NC in 1980 and installed here in 1994). The tower and keeper's house are unpainted red brick; lantern and watch room painted black. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). This is the highest light in New England. Designed as a showpiece for the Lighthouse Board, this impressive building is recognized as a National Historic Landmark. The entire 4-million-pound (1.8 million kilogram) structure was relocated 360 feet (110 m) in 1993 to escape erosion of the bluffs. In 1999 the lighthouse received $475,000 for restoration, and in 2000 another $300,000 was received. The New England Lighthouse Lovers donated another $40,000 in October 2003. The restoration began in August 2003 and was completed in the summer of 2005. The assistant keeper's house was developed as a museum. Located on the Mohegan bluffs at the southeast corner of the island.
By WacoKidd110 @ 2011-05-24 13:31:45