Bluecoat School

Bluecoat School


Chester, United Kingdom (GB)
The Blue Coat School is located in Upper Northgate Street, Chester, Cheshire, England. It is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building.

Before the school was built, it was the site of a medieval hospital. In 1700 a charity school was built in the precincts of Chester Cathedral; it was the first school outside London to be established by the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. The charity school was moved to the Blue Coat School, which was built in 1717. Almshouses were built behind the school. The school was originally an L-shaped building, with its main wing on Upper Northgate Street, and a south wing looking towards Chester city walls. The south wing contained a chapel, and the main wing the schoolroom and dormitories. In 1733 a north wing was added. A new façade was added to the main wing in 1854, and new almshouses were built. The clock was added the following year. The school closed in 1949, and the buildings were occupied by the Chester College of Higher Education (now part of the University of Chester). Its name has been incorporated in the title of Bishops' Blue Coat Church of England High School.
The Blue Coat School is located in Upper Northgate Street, Chester, Cheshire, England. It is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building.

Before the school was built, it was the site of a medieval hospital. In 1700 a charity school was built in the precincts of Chester Cathedral; it was the first school outside London to be established by the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. The charity school was moved to the Blue Coat School, which was built in 1717. Almshouses were built behind the school. The school was originally an L-shaped building, with its main wing on Upper Northgate Street, and a south wing looking towards Chester city walls. The south wing contained a chapel, and the main wing the schoolroom and dormitories. In 1733 a north wing was added. A new façade was added to the main wing in 1854, and new almshouses were built. The clock was added the following year. The school closed in 1949, and the buildings were occupied by the Chester College of Higher Education (now part of the University of Chester). Its name has been incorporated in the title of Bishops' Blue Coat Church of England High School.
View in Google Earth Schools - Other
Links: en.wikipedia.org
By: Mike1989

Advertisement

Comments

Policies
Please enable images and enter code to post
Reload

Advertisement