Bretton Hall was designed and built around 1720 by its owner, Sir William Wentworth, assisted by James Moyser. In 1792 it passed into the Beaumont family, (latterly Barons and Viscounts Allendale), and the Library and Dining Room were remodelled by John Carr in 1793. A new wing by Sir Jeffry Wyattville was added in 1811-14, and monumental stables designed by George Basevi were built between 1842 and 1852. In 1949, the Hall became the site of Bretton Hall College, a teacher training college which merged with the University of Leeds in August 2001. In June 2006 it was announced that Bretton Hall was to be sold to Wakefield Council.
Schools - Colleges/Universities, Stately Homes