The breakwater of the city of Burlington, Vermont, is a historically significant structure. Work on the breakwater began in 1836, when congress authorized the construction of the first 1,000 feet. It was extended numerous times in the 19th Century, and presently totals 4,175 feet in length. The construction of the breakwater correlates with the development of the City of Burlington and its maritime commercial interests. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.