The Callan Augustinian Friary is situated in Callan, Co Kilkenny, Ireland. It is known locally as the "Abbey Meadow" and is located at the North East of the town on the banks of the Kings Rover.
Buildings - Religious
Edmund Butler of Pottlerath, a noted patron of literature, successfully petitioned Pope Pius II for the foundation of the friary in 1461. After Edmund died in 1462, the actual buildings were erected by his son, James, probably after 1467 when he received a papal dispensation to marry his concubine, to whom he was related.