The Cameron Suspension Bridge crosses the Little Colorado River at Cameron, Arizona, USA. The bridge formerly carried US 89, but was replaced by a newer deck truss bridge in 1959. Built in 1911, it has an overall length of 680 feet (210 m) and a main span of 660 feet (200 m). The bridge was built by the Midland Bridge Company of Kansas City for the Office of Indian Affairs and the Indian Irrigation Service. W.H. Code of the Midland Bridge Company was the designer. The suspension design was chosen to address the steep-walled canyon at the crossing, which required a single span with no temporary falsework. When built, the Cameron bridge was the longest suspension span west of the Mississippi River.
The Cameron Suspension bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 5, 1986.
By kkeps @ 2012-07-22 20:13:57