Cape Bruny Lighthouse at the southern tip of Bruny Island, Tasmania, is the second oldest extant lighthouse tower in Australia, as well as having the longest (158 years) history of being continuously manned. Construction began in April 1836, it was first lit in March 1838, and was eventually decommissioned on 6 August 1996. It was built by convict labour from locally-quarried dolerite.
In December 2000 the lightstation area, including the lighthouse, became part of the South Bruny National Park. (Wikipedia)
By bubaonline @ 2008-10-26 16:24:59