Buildings - Castles
A partially ruined castle in Carew, the structure looks solid but the roof is long gone.
The present castle, which replaced an earlier stone keep, is constructed almost entirely from the local Carboniferous limestone, except for some of the Tudor architectural features such as window frames, which are made from imported Cotswold stone. Although originally a Norman stronghold the castle maintains a mixture of architectural styles as modifications were made to the structure over successive centuries.
Entry to the inner ward is across a dry moat that had a barbican and gatehouse. The front of the castle had three D-shaped towers and crenelated walls. The rear of the castle has two large round towers. In the 16th century the northern defensive wall was converted into a Tudor range with ornate windows and long room.
The outer ward has earthworks that were built by Royalist defenders during the English Civil War in the 1640s.
The castle type is a Norman Rectangular castle with Elizabethan Ranges. It was built in 1270 by Nicholas de Carew and is made of Limestone. It currently stands at a height of up to 15 metres ans is partially restored. It is also open to the public and is controlled by Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, although still owned by the Carew family.
With thanks to Wikipedia and Pembroke Council for the information.